A group of women from the Fortnightly Club of Honeoye Falls formed the Honeoye Falls Free Library in 1912. Its 500 books were circulated free of charge from two upstairs rooms in a building on Main Street.
In 1928, Jonathon Noxon bequeathed $10,000 to the Honeoye Falls Free Library for the purpose of erecting a library building. The Honeoye Falls Free Library Association transferred its holdings to the newly incorporated Honeoye Falls Library, Inc. in 1935. The new library was completed in 1936; it is the white home-like building at 15 Monroe Street.
The Town of Mendon established the Mendon Public Library in 1968. That year, the Trustees of the Honeoye Falls Library voted to dissolve that organization and transfer its assets to the newly established Mendon Public Library. An addition to the Monroe Street library building was completed in 1975 to make room for the expanded collection. Over one hundred volunteers from church, social and service groups in the community moved the entire book collection from the old building into the new space.
In 2011, the Mendon Public Library moved into our new facility at 22 North Main Street. This building is ADA-compliant and allows our community to safely gather, discuss, learn, and enjoy in an updated and thoughtfully designed library space.
Patrons can commemorate the history of the library and support the library at the same time. Historic bricks, once a part of the streets of Honeoye Falls, then part of the patio outside the Mantegna Furniture store and residence (the red barn formerly on the site of the new library building), are available for purchase, engraving, and dedication in the library garden. Purchase a brick today, here.