That Was Then...
A group of women from the Fortnightly Club of Honeoye Falls formed the Honeoye Falls Free Library in 1912. Its 500 books were circulated free of charge from two upstairs rooms in a building on Main Street.
In 1928, Jonathon Noxon bequeathed $10,000 to the Honeoye Falls Free Library for the purpose of erecting a library building. The Honeoye Falls Free Library Association transferred its holdings to the newly incorporated Honeoye Falls Library, Inc. in 1935. The new library was completed in 1936; it is the white home-like building at 15 Monroe Street.
The Town of Mendon established the Mendon Public Library in 1968. The Trustees of the Honeoye Falls Library voted to dissolve that organization and transfer its assets to the newly established Mendon Public Library. An addition to the Monroe Street library building was completed in 1975 to make room for the expanded collection. Over one hundred volunteers from church, social and service groups in the community moved the entire book collection from the old building into the new space.
In 2007, over 99,000 items were circulated from the library; over 70,000 people visited it; over 3,000 people attended 100 free library programs. Circulation and visits are growing each year, and once again with the help of dedicated staff and volunteers, the Mendon Public Library moved into our new facility at 22 North Main Street in 2011.
This Is Now...
Enjoy browsing through our beautiful facility and all that we offer to the community of Mendon and Honeoye Falls here. Click on the image below to read our 2017 Annual Report.