In preparation for an upcoming week celebrating the agricultural roots of our community, the Honeoye Falls-Town of Mendon Historical Society has loaned five history boards and a hewn log for display at the Mendon Public Library. The display will be up throughout the Summer Reading Program for patrons to come and learn about the timber hewing, soap making, fences, grains, and oxen that are part of our area’s history.
As part of the Summer Reading Program, Town Historian, Diane Ham, worked to create a book highlighting Mendon’s agricultural past. That book will be available at the Mendon Public Library along with many of Diane’s previous publications. Snippets from her most current publication will be highlighted in a volunteer-produced video depicting photos and various historical facts related to Mendon’s farming roots. That video will be available on the library website starting August 9th. Other programs that week include a presentation at Lazy Acres Alpaca Farm, Family Farm Visit to 20 Deep Winery, and a virtual program for kids titled, “The World Under our Feet.” For more information, please see our website, mendonlibrary.org or call the library, 624-6067.
Those interested in visiting the Honeoye Falls-Town of Mendon Historical Society Museum are encouraged to do so on Sundays, 2-4 pm, and other times by appointment. The museum address is 1 Allen Park Dr., Honeoye Falls, 585-624-5660. The museum is located in an historical building, namely the carriage barn of the Wilcox House, an early hotel at the four corners of Honeoye Falls. The museum has an excellent display of Native American artifacts dating from the Lomoka Period (2500 BC) through the Iroquois Period when the Seneca inhabited this area. Pioneer days of Honeoye Falls through the present date are well documented depicting the lifestyles of the times since 1791.
The Mendon Public Library Summer Reading Program is supported by Honeoye Falls Market Place, Mendon Meadows Market Place, M&T Bank, and the Friends of the Mendon Public Library.